Want to discover the great outdoors. Some national walking trails, routes and hikes will help you to brush off those cobwebs and inhale that beautiful Irish air. It’s the easiest way to get you moving, get you active and get you happy. Some recommendations below are all within the Cavan Meath area. Includes general walks and walking tours.
- Deerpark Forest Park: The Virginia Slí na Sláinte is 5.5km long located at Deerpark Forest, just outside Virginia, Co. Cavan.
- Castle Lake Loop: The loop begins and ends at the car park on the lakeshore and takes you around Castle Lake, with some fine views and interesting sites along the way, including a memorial to those who died at Rebel Hill in 1798. Longer loop also optional.
- Loughcrew House & Gardens: Leisurely stroll around the 6-acre landscaped garden with a beautiful lake
- Mullagh Hill Walk: The path way is good but steep and there are wonderful 360 degree views across Counties Cavan and Monaghan. 2km.
- Dun A Ri Forrest Park: There are four signposted walks in Dun A Ri Forest Park, Nature Trail/Village Walk/River Walk/Access for all Trail.
- Cavan Burren Park: A remarkable limestone plateau which is now beginning to be recognized as one of the finest relict landscapes of its size in all of Ireland. Visitor centre on site.
- Killykeen Forest Park: Killykeen Forest Park is a picturesque forest park wrapped around the Lough Oughter lake system with a network of forest walks, picnic areas, a swimming area, family cycle trail (3km) and multi-access trails and paths.
To see our special accommodation rates click here